Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day

Of course I hope you have a good holiday weekend. But I also hope that, in between the road trips and the barbecues and the beach volleyball, you would take some time to remember why we observe Memorial Day.

My thoughts at the moment are occupied by the most recent "high-profile casualty" in this war -- a young soldier from Torrance, California who was found just yesterday in the Euphrates River, after having been abducted and killed. Torrance is near where I live. I've never met him, but tonight his family is grieving a mere few miles from me, and it is all I can do to pray for their comfort and to honor his sacrifice.

Please do the same.

Please be mindful of what you are able to do this weekend and why you are able to do it.

Please read this Blackfive post, and while you're at it, this one, too. I promise, they are worth your time. There are men out there now, and men throughout history, who have deemed your freedom worth their time, even unto the end of their earthly time.

2 comments:

cube said...

Oh this kind of thing crosses my mind often. We are so blessed in this country, but all we hear is whining & moaning about how bad it is.

I know we'll be thinking about the troops & their families this Memorial Day, but I'm also going to think about them beyond the weekend. We'll continue to send them boxes of goodies.

Hope your weekend is a good one and give your pup a tummy rub for me. ;-)

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Hi Jenny!
This is a great entry. :) Have a fabulous Memorial Day.