Most of it was what I expected: various careers in the healthcare and technical fields, with little blurbs about why these positions were so attractive. But there came a point when I actually laughed out loud. Join me, won't you?
Clergy. Want the satisfaction of doing good? You'll routinely play a significant role in major life events such as birth, marriage, crisis, and death. Plus this career offers status, normally modest work hours, and often good salaries. You needn't necessarily have unquestioned faith in God. I've spoken with a number of clergy who have deep questions about the nature and even existence of a Supreme Being.Now, I would think the clergy would hardly be a solid career choice for wealth-and-status-seeking atheists who have a yen for bulk leisure time and crave the spotlight and adoration afforded by playing "a significant role in major life events." But perhaps this is seriously the prevailing view. It would certainly explain NBC's anally fragrant new drama "The Book of Daniel" which, yes, I watched on purpose (stories for another time).
What say you, my friends out there in full-time ministry? How's that cushy 9 to 5 desk job and fancy uppercrust lifestyle treatin' ya?

2 comments:
If I weren't so enamored of my current high-paying, cushy job, I'd be sorely tempted by the easy hours, feel-good, it don't even matter what you believe career promised by this blurb!
I actually tried to watch The Book fo Daniel. By any standards, I found it unwatchable and quickly turned it off. Looking forward to your review.
I'm sure Roman Catholic clergy with their vow of poverty could attest to the mounds of gold they swim in like Scrooge McDuck. If this article only considers those ministers on TBN, however, then yes, there is a fortune to be made in ministry.
Post a Comment