Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Habemus PUPam!

Those of you who are regular readers know that I've volunteered with a Guide Dogs of America puppy raising group for more than two years now. For a variety of reasons, I've only been able to act as a "relief sitter" up to this point, rather than raising a dog for the full 16-month commitment. My status recently changed and I've been waiting for my own dog....

I thought I would be receiving an 8-week-old puppy at some point before Christmas, but as it turns out, God has other joyous, important plans for me in my favorite area of community service. This new task will be a sacrifice for me in some ways, but a great joy in other ways. For one thing, the dog I'm getting is already old enough to be well behaved in most public places and will therefore make the already busy holiday season less stressful than would a curious sharp-toothed destruction machine with a tiny bladder.

Also, this gives me an opportunity to serve another person who is probably heartbroken about having to give up her dog sooner than she expected.

Today I am ecstatic to announce that sometime in the next couple of weeks, I will be taking over puppy raising duties from another terrific volunteer who unfortunately cannot complete the commitment. My new charge -- and soon-to-be extension of my left arm, as it were -- is a year-old male Yellow Labrador Retriever named Lomax.

6 comments:

8675309 said...

And before you ask, Timbo...NO, as far as I know, Lomax does not have a scarfaced evil twin named Xamol.

Jays said...

Congratulations Jenny! I hope I get to meet Lomax at some point! Will you promise to at least upload a photo once in a while?

8675309 said...

Better than that, Deborah -- I'll soon be launching another blog devoted to the puppy raising experience, and Lomax will be the star of the show. And yes, I'll post pictures. =^)

Jays said...

Brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

I just realized that together, Jenny and Lomax will be known as J-Lo.

Anonymous said...

if he turns out like any of the rest of the family dogs you will have to change his name to lummox. dad