Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Best Morning Show Ever

I've become quite the fan of radio station Indie 103.1, and especially of its weekday morning show, "The Mighty Morning Show" with Dicky Barrett (of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones). Dicky's got a terrific radio voice, a charming Boston accent, a talent for interviewing fellow musicians and a genuine appreciation for fans of the show.

This is not your mom's radio morning show, of course. Dicky plays a goodly amount of punk and ska and other young whippersnapper fare. Each week, he promotes "Tattoosday" ("Tattuesday?"), in which local tattoo artists come to the studio and work on someone during the show; you can hear the needles buzzing during the course of interviews and traffic reports. And yes, the conversation occasionally turns to unsavory topics...but I'm finding that since the focus is on the music and musicians, and NOT on simply being shocking or juvenile or making fun of the listeners, it's not as prevalent or just plain nasty as on other pop/rock/dance music stations.

The best part is, you just never know what you're going to hear in terms of the music. For an "indie" station that's actually owned by a large communications company, the station does a great job of allowing the jocks to do their thing, which keeps things eclectic. Yesterday as I was lamenting my crawl to work in obnoxious and seemingly causeless traffic on Lincoln Boulevard, Dicky played a cut from the new Go Betty Go album called "I'm From L.A." -- the lyrics made me laugh:

They say I'm lazy
I'm always late
Full of excuses
I'm from L.A.

Today, just because it's his best friend Mickey's birthday, Dicky ignored the groans of his co-workers and played a Spanish version of Toni Basil's "Mickey":

Oh, Mickey, como estas?
Como estas? Me gustas mas!
Ey Mickey! Ey Mickey!

Despite the fact that this is now stuck in my head, it was brilliant. Started my day off just right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dig 103.1 -- they won me over pretty quickly by playing Pearl Jam and U2 songs back to back, and they weren't the singles either. Alas, their signal isn't that strong in the San Gabriel Valley, so I usually don't listen to the station. Bummer.