My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer today. So I'm asking everyone I know to pray for him.
The funny thing is, I'm sure he'll read this (he does read the blog) and think I'm full of shit for believing such things might make an ounce of difference. He'll probably think I'm naive, a foolish child, for even making such a request of you.
Those of you who aren't Christians might think prayer is just our way of trying to get what we want from God, but that's not how it works. The holiest person on earth could spend every waking hour on his knees, pure hearted and with the best of intentions, petitioning the Almighty for a certain set of circumstances that would make life better or easier or more interesting...but there's no guarantee God will grant his request.
Prayer is about submitting your will, your desires, your authority, and your life to Him and acknowledging that He is sovereign. Prayer is about trust in God and in His ability to see and affect the outcome of the big picture as well as the small one. Life in general is difficult and painful at times, and the Christian life can bring those moments into even sharper focus. We don't always get what we want, but there is a greater force at work who, when we acknowledge His existence and authority, makes sure we get what we need, whether or not we know what that is.
I don't care whether or not you believe, Dad. We're praying for you.
Friday, March 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
I am praying. My heart is with you, too.
Likewise. And I'm amazed at how your life and words even in this moment point upwards.
Sorry to hear about that Jenny :( I'll keep you and your dad in my prayers as well.
Deb, Micah, Bill, Nat: Thank you so much, you guys. Your friendship and prayers mean a great deal to me.
Thank you also to the many friends (even blog buddies I've never actually met in person!) who have e-mailed prayers and encouragement. I am blessed to have each of you in my life, and I love you very much.
We will be praying too.
Sam
Thanks, Sam and Calvin...we can never have too many prayers....
Cyndi and I are, too. Your Dad is very well-supported, prayer-wise! And how blessed he is, to have a daughter who loves and cares for him so much.
James
Thanks James. Please thank Cyndi as well, and kiss Connor for me, too.
Jenny, I'm so sorry. I will send my prayers along as well.
Thank you, cube. MUCH appreciated.
We're praying for your family as well.
Thank you SO much, all of you...I'm blessed by the outpouring of encouragement and support I've received from even the people who've never met me and my family. You guys are the greatest!
Hey, this is Joanna's friend Christina. I, occasionally (via Joanna's blog), check in on Maxy's progress on his blog. In order to do that, I go through your blog. This post caught my eye. You don't really know me, but I am also a Christian and definitely a strong proponant of prayer! I just felt like letting you know a story very similar to this in my life... hopefully it will bring you some encouragement.
My favorite Aunt and role model, while I was little, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was told that she must have a surgery in order to even have a chance at survival. Her family, friends, and church surrounded her with prayer. She felt strongly as though she wasn't supposed to have surgery. When she told the Doctors she wasn't going to, they told her she would have 6-8 months to live. She obeyed God, and lived 8 years longer. I miss my Aunt a lot, but I am so glad God let us have her for a little longer.
The point: God does amazing things through prayer! I'll definately say one for you and your family tonight.
-Christina
Thank you, Christina, for your very kind and encouraging words! And thank you even more for your prayers. Lomax and I are blessed to know you and Joanna as well....
Post a Comment