Tuesday, March 28, 2006

It's Official: I Drive a Hoopty

Let it not be said that my pickup truck doesn't come with options. It comes with LOTS of options:

1.) The paint on my hood could be described as "distressed" OR as "a choppy ocean scene."

2.) If I want to experience uphill acceleration, I can either drive someone else's truck OR get out and push my own.

3.) On a rainy drive home from work at night, I can use the headlights and the windshield wipers, OR the windshield wipers and the defroster, OR the defroster and the headlights. (Provided I am not also using the radio.)

4.) That smell? It could be oil OR transmission fluid OR coolant.

5.) That puddle where I park? That happened either when I left this morning OR when I returned home.

6.) I will purchase another vehicle at the end of this year, OR the next time my mechanic says, "Six hundred dollars, please."

3 comments:

JuliaR said...

Oh yeah? At least you HAVE a car! :)

8675309 said...

LOL, Julia! True, I'm grateful to have anything at all. But I've been driving Freddie for eleven years now (and I bought him USED), and I think the time is approaching....

Seriously, though, if I lived someplace that had good public transportation, it wouldn't be such a big deal! I'd much rather be able to read a book on the way to work in the morning than spend that time doing the gas-brake-grumble-gas-brake-grumble-gas-brake thing in traffic.

James said...

Frankly, I'm surprised that you want to get rid of your truck after getting to know it so very well. You've bonded. You've spent a third of your life with this fine vehicle. Say it isn't so.
For some reason, Cyndi, too, wants me to get rid of my truck (whose paint could also be described in a multitude of ways, but never as "shiny new"). She can't understand the human-machine connection that has strengthened through these nine years and 100000 miles. (I also bought it used; it's now almost 17 years young.)