Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jeepers! It's an Air Raid!

Attention swing dancers, jazz musicians, conspiracy theorists, and WWII/military/Los Angeles history buffs: this Saturday is the "Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942" at the Fort MacArthur Museum in San Pedro!

This annual event, which commemorates a controversial night in the early days of WWII when thousands of Southern Californians thought the coast was under attack (from Japanese bombers? weather balloons? space aliens?), promises to "recreate the atmosphere of a 1942 social evening out, interrupted by the reality of war."

Participants are encouraged, but not required of course, to bring their dancing shoes (I'll have mine!). And maybe some earplugs... because in addition to the sounds of the live band playing under the stars, there "may be some loud noises" during the course of the evening's re-enactment.

How cool is that?!?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it that Japanese-Americans won't be welcome to the event.

Penjammin said...

Oh man I'd so be there if I didn't live so freaking far! *sigh* Hey, If you're ever in Indy let's go dancing.

and man Taylor. ouch.

8675309 said...

Tyler: not true. Japanese-Americans were absolutely welcome; they were merely escorted to a separate building and kept there until the end of the dance. It's the Germans and the Italians who weren't welcome.

Ben: next year, you should plan a trip out here for this, because IT. WAS. AWESOME. Seriously? I went back in time this evening. I'm going every year as long as I live here. So cool!!!! And yep, I sure will look ya up if I'm ever in Indy -- a girl can never have too many good dance partners!

Penjammin said...

:) hehehe.... to both graphs

Penjammin said...

next year. keep me posted eh?

8675309 said...

Will do, Ben!