Friday, September 10, 2004

Things That Make Me Want to Move to Nebraska

It took me thirty minutes to get to work this morning. I live three miles away.

I'm thinking it's time to find a wealthy benefactor to finance my work-from-home-as-an-otherwise-starving-creative-writer plan. This is a good plan. And there may just be something in it for you!

Let's say that you're:
A.) a wealthy benefactor, and
B.) an upstanding gentleman and God-fearing individual between the ages of, say, 29 and 35, looking for a creative and comedic wife who will happily stay at home writing and cooking and exercising and taking care of dogs and kids and whatever other animals or humans happen by the house during the day.

Clearly, the benefits for you in this scenario are legion: wife, kids, dogs, food (did I mention the cookies?), comedy. Also, I could write a best seller or a million dollar screenplay, and you could become an even WEALTHIER benefactor. We like this plan, no?

No? Okay, let's say that you're:
A.) a wealthy benefactor, and
B.) not at all interested in any romantic entanglements, real or imagined.

Just want to give me money? I'm fine with that, too. You still have the potential to become the aforementioned even wealthier benefactor. Also, I would talk you up to everyone -- EVERYONE -- as the most generous, philanthropic person I know. Your good name would become an even better name. I hear that's valuable, in the benefactor world.

Also, I understand that Los Angeles is a little pricey, even for a wealthy benefactor. If you would prefer to move me to Nebraska, it would definitely take some adjustment, but I think I could get used to it. It might even help me to focus more on the writing, not having any friends or family in the immediate vicinity to serve as distractions. Maybe I could write vast epic poems about cows, or wheat. I'm just sayin' I'm open to change, is all.

So, I'm ready to embark on this little adventure. Any takers out there? Anyone? Anyone?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that killed me this morning too! I tried to get around it, and it *still* took me 30 minutes!

Amy

8675309 said...

Excellent, then! Benefactors for everyone!

j

Anonymous said...

Thats just what you need a...Ben Aflackter! red

Anonymous said...

I once knew a writer that moved to Nebraska, bought a little farm with his early retirement, and volunteered for the church newsletter. Later the weather grew really, really cold. Frigid. He discovered that many people do not bathe regularly when it is cold. He put the farm up for sale and moved back to California.

8675309 said...

Good point, Anonymous Poster. I'm not a big fan of the cold, and I am a big fan of bathing -- for myself and others. Where, then, o where, if not Nebraska? I'm looking for "cheaper" and "less densely populated by people with motor vehicles." And "idyllic" might be a nice change. Also in the mix is "where people might not mind my weirdness." Any suggestions?

All "Fresno" suggestions will be summarily ignored.

Anonymous said...

I could use one of those too... trying to buy a new house with a credit rating torn to shreds a few years back by my ex-wife, and my fiancee is in the same boat.

And people do shower when it's cold, at least in Michigan. Must be a 'braska thing.

~Cyrano J.