Monday, September 06, 2004

Pondering the Slippery Slope

I've been in a contemplative mood this weekend, and thinking a lot about this quote my pastor used in a sermon several weeks ago. It won't leave me. I've already shared it with a few dear friends; maybe you'll benefit from it too:

"People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; we drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; we drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated." -- D.A. Carson, "Reflections" (Christianity Today, 7/31/00)

I know some of you out there don't believe the same things I believe. And I don't know what your preconceived notions are about Christians, or about Christ. But let me assure you, no matter what you may think about the silliness of "Christian culture" or the attitude of those who would tell you that a simple "yes, I believe in Jesus" is a panacea for life's many ills...there's more to it than that.

A genuine life of faith is nothing to be taken lightly. So-called shortcuts and glittering alternatives do nothing to move you closer to deep peace and profound joy. Likewise, an incidental and compartmentalized faith will not bring your purpose, your desires or your usefulness into sharper focus or to completion. God will not do it for you just because you believe in Him. A genuine life of faith requires attention and perseverance, discipline and sacrifice.

No comments: