Monday, January 16, 2006

The Book of Bauer

Huzzah, 24 has returned! For those of you who may have missed this when I posted it last year, check out the 24 (Season 4) Drinking Game!

Some of you may have taken my last post to mean I would put up a full-on review of The Book of Daniel. Indeed, I thought about it...then thought better of it. I'm pretty much in agreement with this commentary and this commentary from National Review Online, both of which are more eloquently articulated and fair-minded than anything I would come up with, even having watched the two-hour season premiere twice. Yes, twice. Sometimes you just have to see something again in order to prove to yourself that you weren't making it up the first time.

In lieu of a review, I will post a brief scene from my fantasy TV crossover episode, starring the namby-pamby hippie Jesus from Book of Daniel, and a REAL man. Enjoy:

JACK (hiding, speaking to CTU through his radio): The hostiles have changed position and are separating the hostages into groups. What's our E.T.A.?

JESUS (stepping casually out from behind a support beam): Now, Jack, "hostiles" isn't cool. They're guys, just like you and me.

JACK: What the hell--

JESUS: You mean "What the heaven!"

JACK: Get down!

JESUS: They can't see me, Jack. Only the children and little animals can see me. And that guy on my other show.

(TERRORIST LEADER pulls a young man from the group of hostages and drags him to another room.)

JACK (into radio): They took another one. What's the holdup? Dammit!

JESUS: Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Even I can't damn an inanimate object. It helps to be more specific. Damn who? Like, the terrorist guy down there? Or the terrorist in the White House posing as a presidential advisor?

JACK (turning to the Nonmighty, intense): What are you talking about, "terrorist in the White House?"

JESUS: Sorry, man, no special revelation. I can only say that something really big's gonna happen within the hour. But don't worry, it'll all be okay. Just let it play out.

JACK: I need a name!

JESUS: Can't do it, Jack. If I told you everything there was to know, how would you ever learn?

JACK (pulling a gun on Jesus): This is a matter of national security. I need a name and I need it now. NOW!

JESUS (chuckling gently): Oh, Jack. I already died once, remember? I'd just be all resurrected again, what would that accomplish? Have a lime LifeSaver and chill out.

JACK: DAMMIT!

JESUS: Cherry?

(JACK sees his opportunity for the hostage rescue and takes off, leaving Jesus.)

JESUS (calling after him): I wish you wouldn't carry a gun. Where's the love?

6 comments:

cube said...

I had heard so much from blog friends about 24, I finally broke down & watched it for the first time this season. So I'm a noobie fan.

There is no way in the world I would even consider watching something like The Book of Daniel, which is little more than a vehicle for the networks to ridicule religious people.

Jays said...

Do you take special requests? How about a dialogue between Jack and Michael Scofield from Prison Break? Forget dialogue--how about mud wrestling?

Mmm.

8675309 said...

Cube --

Welcome to 24! The roomie and I are finding that odd-numbered seasons have been the best so far, so things bode well for this time around. They certainly started out with a bang!

As for The Book of Daniel, I had assumed after reading pre-season loglines that it was going to be a sitcom. I watched the season premiere in complete fascination with its wretchedness (Deborah was right in calling it "unwatchable," and yet I persisted). It was so bad I had to watch it again with my roommate, just for the laughter.

I agree, things like this can be vehicles for ridicule. But it's not "religious" people who are targeted (we are all religious about something, after all, even if that something has nothing to do with God), but people who self-identify as Christians. No surprises there.

I watch these shows for many reasons: I like to be able to have an intelligent and informed discussion with people who think the shows represent the way Christians really are; I like a good laugh; and they make for good blog fodder.

8675309 said...

And Deborah, yes.

I haven't seen Prison Break, but I've heard sentiments expressed that are similar to yours, in large numbers. ;)

My vote: Jack, Chase from season 3, and/or several castmembers from Lost. And NO, I'm not talking about Hurley. He can move to the Sumo ring next door to our mud wrestling pit.

Natalie said...

lol, htat was hilarious (even though i don't watch either show--i do watch Lost though :P)

Nat and Petey

8675309 said...

Hi, Nat!

Yes, Lost is another of our "turn off the phone ringer and don't answer the door" TV shows....

Congrats on finally getting Petey! Can't wait to see more photos on your blog!

j