My dad served in the Army in Viet Nam, just a few years before I was born. Sure, it wasn't his idea...but regardless of how he may have felt about the war or the draft or the presidential administration or the choices being made by the rest of his generation, he served. I think it took great courage to do that, and I think it was the right thing to do. (And to be honest, if I had been in his position, I'm not certain I wouldn't have been on the first plane to Toronto.)
The Fourth of July just passed, and I've been thinking about what a free and convenient life I lead. Here I am in sunny Los Angeles, living in a nice apartment, working part-time in a job I love, spending my "non-work" days pursuing creative writing and recreational activity. I have everything I need and lack very few of the things for which I display a sometimes fickle desire. I eat three meals a day, whether I'm cooking something fresh from the store or buying something from one of the thousands of restaurants I have access to here in my city. I have my own transportation. I have pets, hobbies, entertainment. I have access to technology and information. I have a college education. I have a vote in federal, state and local elections. I am free to go to Wednesday night Bible study in the public park, where my fellow Christians can meet without fear of beatings, arrests, or worse. Within reason, I am unrestricted.
And I did not secure these things, these rights and freedoms and luxuries, for myself.
Yes, all true freedom comes from our Creator -- let me not mislead you. But it is in the image of that Creator that men and women were made, and men and women are never more reflective of the God who made them then when they are sacrificing themselves on behalf of others. This is what our soldiers (and sailors, and airmen, and marines) do.
There is no draft right now. The ones who are serving right now are serving by choice, some of them having re-enlisted for two and three consecutive tours of duty. Do you appreciate that? Do you appreciate it even if the sacrifices they make are for someone in another country, another culture?
There is a group called Soldiers' Angels, which started with a mother's love for servicemen who recieved no mail or support from home. This one mom's efforts have grown into a full-fledged nonprofit organization. New "angels" are signing up every day to participate in these and other programs:
* Adopt A Soldier: send letters and care packages to your one assigned soldier
* Letter Writing Team: send one letter to each name you're given
* Operation Top Knot: send baby blankets and other shower gifts to pregnant wives of men who are serving overseas (Storebought or handmade! Do you knit? Crochet?)
* Wounded Project: Donate "transitional backpacks" full of toiletries, phone cards and comfort items for soldiers in Combat Support and Military Hospitals worldwide
It seems to me that these programs would make great projects for elementary school classes, knitting clubs, youth groups and the like. But even the efforts of one person can make a huge difference in the life of a soldier who desperately needs encouragement and a feeling of being in touch with the country he calls home.
Thus, one Benjamin Gray will henceforth be the weekly recipient of long letters from me, containing endless detail about the seemingly mundane activities I am privileged to enjoy because of the sacrifices made by people like him.
Also, I will send him cookies.
A big fat Hat Tip goes to Doug TenNapel and his no-holds-barred blog for bringing Soldiers' Angels to my attention.
And another Hat Tip goes to my dad, who taught me to love and respect my country (imperfect though she is), and the scores of her selfless willing, who understand the price of freedom.
Friday, July 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank You! Please let me add that even though the rights are made available to man by God they are never "given" they are only won. Every time a right is lost through complacency or dealt away on the bargining table someone has to shed their blood to return that right to the people. For every one who feels that it is not their place to defend these rights or fight to aquire the same freedoms for others, there are two who are willing to resind those rights for personal power over the others. lh
Post a Comment