Sunday, July 08, 2007

Pet Peeve Du Jour

If I introduce myself as "Jenny," that is not an invitation for you to call me "Jennifer."

11 comments:

Hobbes Dogs said...

Agreed there!

I always say my name is Sam, and am surprised how often that is followed by "Short for Samantha, right?"

Jays said...

Amen sister! Likewise to people who meet me as Deborah and immediately start calling me Debbie or Deb.

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Yeah, my mom has always called you Deb and I have no idea why.

Hi, Jenny!

Anonymous said...

I could never call you Jennifer; you will always be jenny to me. Of course I have bad Mojo linked to Jennifer. I'm easy when it comes to my name though, Steve, Steven, My Liege, Steveo, What ever.

8675309 said...

Thanks for your support, guys! Now, if I could only get everyone in my family on board....

Penjammin said...

:) note to self. Hope you're doing well these days. Hadn't from you in awhile. peace.

JuliaR said...

You've touched a nerve! I used to call myself Julie. Then I went to the name my mother really gave me, Julia. My family calls me Jule which I like. But never call me Jules. I don't know why but that one just bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - it's similar to someone after meeting me saying "You Jane, me Tarzan"... yes, sad but true, I do hear that. What stuns me is the fact that the laughter that follows (from them, not me) are acting as if it's the first time I've ever heard it! Then I'm challenged to give grace in the moment - I guess it's my perverbial "thorn"!

cube said...

My daughter has your problem in reverse. She goes by Jennifer or Jenn, but doesn't like being called Jenny.

Anonymous said...

speaking for the other side, Jennifer is such a beautiful name that should not be shortened to that of a sterile mule. However we only use jennifer when we want to realllly get your attention. love lawrence

Anonymous said...

Well, just like when I say I'm "Joseph" then they would immediately call me "Joe". Worse, when some of them send me an email, my name is mispelled as "Joesph"!!!????

Oops....I met somebody the other day named "Jane", and I did say "Me...Tarzan". You just opened my eyes Jane, never again!