Sunday, October 29, 2006

Nerds Love Halloween

Do you know how long it's been since I've gone to a costume party? A criminally long time. So long, in fact, that as a former theater major, I feel I have brought shame upon my people. So naturally, I leapt at the chance to attend a party with my friends and former co-workers at New Deal Studios.

Thanks to my Auntie Reetha and her Magical Closet of Fun Accessories, I was able to put together this fine ensemble -- without spending ANY money! -- and go as a "Mysterious Socialite From a Bygone Era" (though many people guessed Audrey Hepburn, which I will also accept, because she was beautiful).

And yes, in case you're wondering, that IS a real mink stole (sorry, PETA). It was heavy, and incredibly hot...unnecessary, considering our current 85-degree SoCal weather. Vintage clutch bag, too, that belonged to my Grandma. Ah, the fancy fabulousness of the bygone era! It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.



The party was great: lots of food, creativity, ambience, and a drive-in movie (Ghostbusters) on the soundstage, along with the world premiere of my former boss Ian's short film. Even some...exotic delicacies, if one was so inclined. Looks like we got there too late to enjoy the frog legs, scorpions and water beetles, but Amy ate a cricket. For real. Does the twist of lemon make a difference, you think?

Here are a few highlights from the rest of the costumed throng....

Wonder Woman and Brawny Man!



Geisha girl and scary spider ladies (with an actual tarantula)!



Zombie marching band!




Cap'n Matthew and his scurvy seamates!



Nice legs, JD...he made this himself!



And my personal favorite, Steve in Wonderland!

5 comments:

Jays said...

You looked gorgeous! I'm impressed. This year I'm going as a slightly tubby housewife. Yeah, I know, same costume four years running. Thhbbtt.

red label said...

Hey Mom! Are we a great gene pool or what?
You look FABULOUS dharling!

JuliaR said...

Totally fun stuff! You look great! One of these decades, I am SO going to have a costume. Only up here, I will need that extra warmth.

cube said...

What a gorgeous outfit! Looked like a fun party. Hope you didn't end up with the guy with the alien legs, though ;-) How'd he do that?

8675309 said...

Thanks, guys!

And cube: the ways of the mechanical effects artist are mysterious indeed...all the guys at the shop are super talented. And some of them have too much time on their hands between paying gigs. :)