My dear friend's father passed away last week. He was 59, and this was a sudden and unexpected loss. One might expect the funeral service to be mournful, somber, filled with women wailing near the casket, and men shaking their heads in that "what a shame, such a tragedy" way.
But Roger Smith was the beloved pastor of a small church in South Los Angeles, located just a few blocks from the intersection of Florence and Normandie, where the 1992 Rodney King riots began. It was a neighborhood I'd never even driven through before I met my friend Denise, whose blood family and church family I have since grown to love. How would this affect them? Pastor Smith -- I never heard anyone, even his wife, call him anything but "pastor" -- was their leader and teacher and visionary.
To my surprise, I couldn't have picked a better way to spend my Saturday morning.
When I arrived for the viewing, there was already "something wrong with this picture." People standing in line to sign the guestbook were greeting each other with smiles, hugs and laughter. There was a buzz of animated conversation emanating from the sanctuary. The worship leader (and now, senior pastor) of the church spotted me immediately and hugged the stuffing out of me, welcoming me with the broadest of eye-twinkling grins and saying how good it was to see me.
Am I at a funeral, here, or what?
An usher handed me a booklet, containing the order of service, some photos of the Smith family, and a bio/obituary. The front cover said it all:
"Victory Celebration For The Life Of Pastor Roger Smith"
Aha. These people aren't kidding. Look at them -- a few tears, but they're also laughing. What gives?
The reason, I think, that I had been so perplexed is that my immediate family doesn't believe in funerals and memorial services, thinking them morbid. Over the years, I've often heard people say that instead of a funeral when they die, they want a "big party" to "celebrate their life." But that strikes me as a sad attempt at self-consolation. What's the point? If I'm never going to see you again, what does it profit me or anyone else to get drunk and tell stories about the good old days? Those memories will die with the people who experienced them, leaving no legacy, and drowning sorrows in alcohol will only delay the experience of the sorrow itself -- sorrow which will surely be experienced alone, after the partygoers have all gone away. You're still dead, I'm still alive, and I'll never see you again. What is there to celebrate?
But this funeral was a true celebration. It wasn't a gathering of people pretending to be happy about something, people living in the so-called glories of the past. This was a gathering of people who were marking a day of sorrow by trusting in the hope of the future. And by future, I do not mean the work of the church that Pastor Smith had accomplished. I do not mean the lives that his life and ministry had touched for the better. I do not mean the lives of his children and grandchildren still in their prime.
Pastor Smith was a family man and an accomplished man, to be sure. He served in the U.S. Navy; earned a Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate; worked for many years in major aerospace corporations and in civil service; was active in his community; pastored a church; earned his pilot's license; and at the time of his death had just begun to realize his dream of reaching out to the poor via an ongoing series of medical mercy missions to the Dominican Republic. He had not wasted his life.
But the dozen or so people who spoke at his service didn't mention these things. The focus was not on Pastor Smith's greatness, but instead, on the greatness of God.
The loving tributes were full of memories, yes, but also full of scripture and of joy. Over and over again, the speakers addressed the family's grief but also told of God's promises -- that He will send a comforter in the person of the Holy Spirit, that He will never leave nor forsake His people who love Him, that He will prepare a place for us to live with Him in eternity, that His victory over death is complete and available to all who believe. It was not a goodbye, but a sendoff in acknowledgment of a later reunion. It was a worship service, and it wasn't Pastor Smith who was being worshipped.
And it was beautiful. And it was thought-provoking. And I left that hall of glorious mourning with a lightness of being I've not felt in quite some time.
Someone did mention that a few weeks before his death, Pastor Smith had (prophetically?) preached a sermon on Ecclesiastes 7:8a, which reads, "The end of a matter is better than its beginning." The obituary in the tribute booklet reads, "On Monday, May 22, 2006 Pastor Smith unexpectedly crossed over into glory -- as was his ultimate wish for himself and every other believer. He has now been issued his new, perfect body and sits at the side of the Savior in joyful worship."
Amen, Pastor Smith. Catch you later.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Jenny,
Thank you so much for this beautifully written article on my Father. i just happened to gooogle his name in hopes of finding obituary information, and to my surprise I found something much better. Thank you for such a thoughtful and kind gesture, and most of all...gift to our family.
Sincerely
Denise's Big Sister
Melani
p.s. This will be a great gift on her birthday.
Jenny Haynes:
God bless you, God bless you, God bless you. All glory goes to Him for this wonderful tribute to our Pastor.
How great is our God who does all things well?
When Melani told Gwen about the article and I heard your name mentioned, I chuckled to myself and said "Jenny is at it again, halleluia." The Holy Spirit moved you to do what God has gifted you to do and that is to encourage hearts and give Him glory.
This will touch many others and lead them to press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Thank you, Jenny, for being so faithful and obedient to the Lord.
God bless you, God bless you, God bless you.
Casey Garrett
Southwestern Church of God
Jenny Hello, I know you don't know me, but I would just like to Thank You from the bottom of my heart for God is true to his word. I usually am the one who gives Melani encouragement from time to time, but after I heard the news I Didn't know what to say, Thank God for the Ram in the bush(you).It seemed like when I heard news of Pastor Smith passing away the Devil came in and put such a fear in me about my Mother who has been ill for some time now. She recently had to preach in Louisianna Mo. and while we were there she gave her testimony and in her testimony she began telling us the conversation she had with God. In this conversation she said she was crying out to God about her sickness and how the Devil was trying to take her life. At that very moment my Mother said God spoke to her and said "YOU SHALL LIVE AND NOT DIE". Now at this time tears was streaming down my face and God had me focused in on what my Mother had just said and at the time I didn't really understand what God was trying to say to me. So when we got back home and I got the call about Pastor Smith I started praying that God would give me something so powerful that when I spoke with Melani she would know it was from God and that confirmation would set in as soon as I was obedient and spoke what God would have me say. I was blank for some time days went by and I felt like God wasn't speaking to me so I went to him again Lord please hear my cry i need a WORD from YOU, please come by and see about your child. Still not one word, but oh he may not come when you want him but He's alway's on time. Now I'm trying to contain myself while I'm writing this to you but... when I think of the Goodness of JESUS and all that He's done for me My Soul Cries Out Hallelujah ya see I've learned to thank him for the bad cuz I found out that even the Bad works out for my Good and what the Devil has meant for evil God turns it around for my Good. MY MY MY MY MY, Im sorry Jenny but there's something about the name Jesus Hallelujah Praise God give me a minute I need a time out... Ok I'm back sometimes you got to praise your way through a thing, I know you know what I am talking about. Anyway, this morning I get up like usual come in my office to read my Emails and low and behold guess who Emails me Melani telling me to check out what you had wrote about her Dad. so I begin to read and as I am reading it suddenly hits me. The Lord had already given me what to say to Melani I just wasn't seeing it, but just like the song said "I once was BLIND but now I SEE" Thank God for taking off the blinders and it was through you. I could just feel your spirit pouring out on the page as I read. I've come to find out that the testimony my Mom was giving us all the way in Louisianna Missouri was the same word He wanted me to give to Melani all the way on another coast Thank God He's an everywhere kind of God the word was simply that her Father Pastor Smith "SHALL LIVE AND NOT DIE" for God's Children have been blessed with Eternal Life, and one thing about it is God has given everyone a chance to have Life and that more abundantly it's really up to the individual. Will He or she except him as Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? I believe that is what Pastor would tell us if he was in front of us today Get Ready for no man knows the day nor hour in which the son of man is coming for when he comes he will come like a thief in the night. I believe Pastor is up there chillin in one of those Mansions God has in store for them that are his. So to the Smith Family my Condolences... and to my Wonderful, Beautiful, Strong, and Most of all Saved FRIEND, I LOVE YOU, and may God continue to keep you as was your Dad a Role Model , remember people are always watching you so stay in the will of God. The bible says that "EVERY STEP OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN IS ORDERED BY GOD" and I truly belive He's leading you and your Family, God Bless You, and Jenny God Bless You Stay encouraged and keep doing what God has called you to do you have a wonderful gift.
Love, Franky McQuay
Wow. Thank you all for your kind words. I hardly know what to say.
I'm humbled; I had no idea that my brief commentary on attending Pastor Smith's funeral would ever get back to his family, and I had even less of a thought that it might actually encourage you. Once again I find that I'm the one who's been blessed.
Our God does, indeed, do all things well.
You continue to be in my prayers. Thank you again for your comments.
jenny
I want to thank you for your true words of encouragement...I do not know the whole family, but if they are anything like one of the best MEN i have ever worked for "Maj Brian Smith", I can see how they have such blessed friends and I hope all is well on the homefront....
Respectfully
TSgt Paul "OGRE" Oglesby
Post a Comment