Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday

Today I give you one of my favorite poems, from one of my favorite poets. I wish you all a day of deep reflection on this, Good Friday, and a joyous day of fellowship and blessing come Sunday. He is risen, indeed!


Beneath Thy Cross

Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath Thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a starless sky,
A horror of great darkness at broad noon --
I, only I.

Yet give not o'er,
But seek Thy sheep, true Shepherd of the flock;
Greater than Moses, turn and look once more
And smite a rock.

- Christina Rossetti

1 comment:

8675309 said...

Hiya, Bill! Glad you enjoyed that one. Let's see...mostly I encounter these things randomly, but I do have a decent little volume called "Invisible Light: Poems About God," from which I'll post another few selections that you might like. The price of that book new on Amazon seems a bit steep, but I recommend getting a used one, if you can find one. I find I always end up dog-earing my favorite pages in poetry books anyway....

I enjoy your blog, by the way. Your son's little ears are the cutest things ever!